Sunday 18 January 2015

I have achieved a lot while working at IDS Next




Santhosh P is Manager – Support & Services for Africa and works out of Dar es Salaam, the capital of Tanzania. He has a Diploma in Hotel Management and 8 years of overall experience, 4 of which he has spent at IDS Next.

So Santosh, how cool is it to work out of Africa?

I think it’s pretty cool, but upon hearing of my decision to move to Africa, my parents and close friends were flabbergasted and asked me to rethink. Everybody has this perception that Africa is not a safe place, but I always wanted to travel and IDS Next had already given me other opportunities before I got the Tanzania offer. Interestingly, Dar es Salaam means "The residence of peace" and on the whole, Tanzania is the safest place in Africa. People here are warm. When I’m not working, I hang out at nearby malls, watch a movie or cook my favorite South Indian food at home.  

Tell us about your work?

I am expected to build a healthy relationship with our clients, and I think that I have achieved this to some extent. My job profile and my responsibilities have helped me to hone my public relations and interpersonal skill.

My core responsibility is to take care of post-sales support for Africa. I am accountable to ensure smooth implementation of our Hotel ERP across clients’ sites. I work in collaboration with our local partners. During product implementation, I travel to the client’s site and need to stay there 25-30 days.

After the implementation I provide tech support when needed. As IDS Next has the policy of 24/7 technical support, I have to be on call round the clock, I get calls at all odd hours and need to work smart to ensure the clients problem is sorted out as soon as possible.

Apart from product installation and tech support, I also conduct product training for hotel staff.

How did you join IDS Next?

I was working as an F&B Executive in a hotel in Chennai and they had adopted IDS Next Hotel Management Software in 2009, that’s how I got acquainted with the software. In 2010, I was referred to IDS Next by one of its employees, I appeared for the interview and joined IDS Next in 2010 as an Implementation Executive.

How has been your journey at IDS Next?

From 2010 to 2013, I did 30 plus software implementations. 20 of these were done for India, and the rest are in countries like Kazakhstan, Nepal, Indonesia, Maldives and Papua New Guinea. The company perhaps noticed my hard work and promoted me to the post of Senior Executive – PSG in 2011. In 2013, I opted to relocate to Africa and have done over 10 implementations here. Recently, I got promoted to my current designation. My hard work has earned me an ‘Exceptional Service Award’ and two promotions during these four years.

Additionally, I would say that my life has changed for good after joining IDS Next. After my hotel management course, I started my career as a waiter. At the lowest rung of the hospitality industry, I held the senior manager or director of the hotel in awe, today; I train some of these gentlemen on our Hotel ERP. Today, I advise them how they can leverage our software to improve and grow their business.

Since you have traveled quite a lot, can you share some of your interesting experiences with us?

In 2011, I had travel to Kazakhstan for my first international project. As it was my first trip to that country, I was a little apprehensive. I was supposed to be picked by the hotel people, but nobody turned up. I felt helpless as I didn’t have the hotel’s contact number. After few minutes of my landing, the entire airport wore a deserted. I tried to ask around but nobody understood English. After 4 hours, I noticed one Indian and went up and spoke to him. He knew the local language and spoke to the hotel and I got picked up in 15 minutes.

How would you recommend others to join IDS Next?

If you dream big, IDS Next is here to help you realize them. Join this growing company to learn new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment